Leadership Berks Fast Facts
- One of over 3400 community leadership programs nationally
- Provided 150+ field projects for nonprofit organizations in Greater Reading and Berks County
- Graduated over 750 community leaders who serve Greater Reading and beyond
- Delivers over 400 hours of instruction and practical experiences per participant annually
- Produces over 1800 hours of immediate community reinvestment in the way of volunteer leadership annually
- Matches the passion and skills of participants to the specific needs of area nonprofit or community organizations
- Engages over 75+ business and community leaders, lawmakers, and field experts who serve as volunteer faculty
Leadership Berks History
Leadership Berks was founded in 1985 by the United Way of Berks County; the Greater Reading Chamber of Commerce and Industry; the United Labor Council; and the Junior League of Reading, PA, Inc. and became a fully immersed program of Alvernia University on July 1, 2009. The program moved to the Greater Reading Chamber Alliance in January of 2019.
The mission of Leadership Berks programs is to develop, support, and connect community leaders for Berks County.
Leadership Berks is seen as the premier resource in Berks County for excellence and best practices in nonprofit management and board governance. Our vision is made possible by utilizing our well established and highly recognized programs, connections, and relationships within the for profit and nonprofit sectors. These relationships include: members of our volunteer faculty of advisors, nonprofit board and management experts, as well as key leaders and elected officials that provide a broad range of expertise, talents and skills from which to draw and lend credibility to current and future training programs and initiatives.
Leadership Berks programs are designed with the adult learner in mind and serve to educate and engage community leaders in the for profit and nonprofit sectors. Programs are also designed to build the organizational development capacity of area nonprofits by providing nonprofit management and board training to nonprofit managers and current or future board leaders.
Leadership Berks is highly recognized in Berks County and the mid-Atlantic region striving for excellence in nonprofit management and board training to improve the efficiency and capacity of the nonprofit sector in Berks County and beyond, by providing programs that build strong professional and personal networks for participants, employers, and nonprofit organizations.