By Amy Lowman, Met-Ed A FirstEnergy Corporation
FirstEnergy’s Pennsylvania utilities (including Met-Ed) offer several energy efficiency programs for both business and residential customers that are designed to reduce energy use and save money. These programs exist pursuant to Pennsylvania’s Act 129, which was passed in 2008 to provide incentives for Pennsylvania utility customers to try to reduce their energy consumption.
The benefits of participating in energy efficiency programs included reduced customer energy usage, which can lead to financial savings through lower electricity bills. By using less energy, the environment benefits because fewer emissions are created through the electricity generation process. Our energy efficiency programs can also help customers find ways to make their homes and businesses more comfortable for occupants.
Met-Ed’s programs for commercial and industrial customers include:
- Retro-Commissioning: Provides detailed energy use analysis and strategies for optimizing commercial/industrial buildings. The program includes a building audit, development of an action plan for the building and development of a Measurement and Verification (M&V) plan to ensure the optimum ongoing performance of the building and building systems.
- Building Tune-Up: Provides a path for customers to implement a comprehensive energy savings project in small and large commercial buildings. The program will focus on the tune-up of central HVAC systems, retrofitting ductless mini-splits and packaged terminal units, advanced lighting controls, adjustment and calibration of building systems and controls, diagnostic testing and the installation of other measures that enhance building energy performance and savings.
- Prescriptive: Incentives include, but are not limited to lighting, lighting controls, HVAC, food service, appliances, and consumer electronics.
- Instant Discounts: Get instant discounts on qualified lighting and HVAC products when you purchase from local participating distributors.
- Custom Equipment: It is offered to commercial, industrial, governmental and institutional customers for retrofits and system/process improvement projects that include technologies and/or customer-specific energy efficiency projects that do not meet the eligibility criteria for other FirstEnergy Pennsylvania Energy Solutions for Business programs.
- Custom Building Improvements Assistance: Provide comprehensive analysis and financial incentives for existing facilities that may include complementary energy modeling to reduce energy consumption and demand with a focus on mechanical upgrades and other envelope, energy management, refrigeration and process load improvements.
- Commercial New Construction: Includes complimentary energy design assistance and financial incentives to help offset the cost of implementing energy-efficient strategies in new construction and major renovation projects, to encourage the reduction of both energy consumption and demand.
Met-Ed’s programs for residential customers include:
- Appliance Rebates: Save money when you buy qualified ENERGY STAR® products and HVAC equipment for your home.
- Appliance Recycling: Receive $50 when you recycle your fridge or freezer with our appliance recycling program.
- Energy Efficiency Kit: These kits contain LED light bulbs, LED nightlights and other items to help you reduce your energy consumption.
- Energy Efficient New Homes: This program provides financial incentives for the construction of more energy-efficient homes.
- Home Energy Analyzer: This is a simple, convenient tool you can use to save energy and money. Just follow a few easy steps to gain a better understanding of your household energy use and identify ways to improve your efficiency.
- Residential Energy Audit Program: Reducing your energy bills is just the beginning. Every step you take to save energy can also improve the comfort and health of your home. Sign up for a Home Energy Audit and we’ll help you find and fix trouble spots so you can live comfortably and efficiently.
To see all programs available for business and residential customers, please visit https://www.firstenergycorp.com/save_energy.html and click on Pennsylvania.