Real estate development serves an important function at the Greater Reading Chamber Alliance (GRCA) and our affiliate economic development organization, Greater Berks Development Fund (GBDF) excels in this role. With a mission to aid and promote economic and industrial expansion by facilitating economic development and community revitalization projects, GBDF has successfully worked for more than 40 years, both directly and indirectly assisting local and new businesses thrive in Berks County.
With a goal of preserving relationships and enhancing shared interests, GBDF cooperates with both the private and public sector in planning and decision making. Likewise, GBDF endeavors to advance community prosperity and sustainability in all efforts undertaken. In terms of investment, GBDF is governed by, but not limited to the following guiding principles:
- The project meets an economic development priority for GBDF, GRCA, and/or the Greater Reading Community.
- Does not necessarily directly compete with private sector developers/projects.
- Involves vacant/underutilized and/or abandoned sites.
- Responds to specific requests or RFPs (request for proposals).
- Particularly significant impact in a neighborhood/municipality.
- Potential for creation or retention of a significant number and/or quality of jobs.
- Retention or attraction of a national or regional corporate headquarters or a significant operation/manufacturing center.
- Difficult site conditions requiring geotechnical work or environmental remediation.
- Projects that may not provide a major direct impact, but will have a substantial impact by generating indirect jobs or increasing tax revenues.
- Historic/landmark buildings or locations.
Contact Landon Bernheiser, Senior Director of Real Estate & Special Projects | 610.898.7792.